Posted by: Karlee A. Turner | March 6, 2014

6th March [1849 and 1860]

Mary Brewster, TUESDAY [Mar.] 6th [1849]: “Mr. Brewster left early this morning — for town. Capt. Sherman waited on board to inform me he had left him in place having arrived safely. He will not be back till the morrow — Things are going on nicely with all on board, by having a good watch think there will be no more attempts to run away — Mr. B. returned early in the evening — I am invited to pass my time with the Governor & family. Out boatsteerer who was engaged in the plot is to go on board of another ship. Success to him.”


Mary Lawrence, [Tues.] MARCH 6 [1860]: “A moderate breeze. Was employed during the morning in ironing. In the afternoon spoke the bark Nimrod, of Sag Harbor, Captain Green, fifteen months out with one sperm whale and one right whale, making in all 120 barrels. I felt that he was just sent to us that our murmurings might be quelled. We are very anxious and beginning to be discontented. We had hopes of doing something down here, and we have only seen one whale and that in severe gale of wind. We have cruised all over good whale ground and have done all that we could do, but thus far it has been a failure. Samuel feels as if he could not stop here much longer but get around Cape Horn as speedily as possible and see if there may not be a barrel or two for us on the other side. Captain Green reported having spoken the William Gifford four days previous. Captain Baker took four whales on the northern New Zealand ground in November; has taken nothing since.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: