Posted by: Karlee A. Turner | November 5, 2013

November 5 [1848 and 1859]

Mary Brewster, SUNDAY [Nov.] 5th [1848]: “At 2 this morning one of the kanakas [native Hawaiian] died, having been sick the last two weeks, suppose it was the quick consumption — at 10 AM his body committed to the deep — A prayer was read, also an appropriate chapter [of the Bible]. The ship was brought to, sails all clewed up — All hands assembled aft — The body was sewed up in canvas with sufficient weight to make it sink, placed on a board at the gangway and after prayer plunged in the deep. This has been a lonesome day. The weather cloudy and rainy which with the solemn occurrence made much more dreary — Death in any form has its terrors but on ship board it is much more solemn and gloomy — We are constantly reminded that in the midst of life we are in death, but how little impression it makes on our minds. The dreaded day is put off and we look forward to years which we hope to enjoy, knowing not that we shall live to behold them. Lord, prepare us for the grim messenger and grant when death is stamped on our brow we may all be prepared to meet it with the blessed hope of reigning with Thee —

* * * * * * * * * *

NOTE: Mary Lawrence’s journal entry for NOVEMBER 1, 1858 is three pages long (eleven paragraphs). Additionally, she did not make any entries between November 2 through December 1. Therefore, the journal entry for this date will be divided into eleven installments, a single paragraph will be posted for the next eleven days (or through November 11).

Mary Lawrence, [Tuesday] NOVEMBER 1 [through 30] 1859: “….Arrived at Honolulu the next morning. r. Richmond, a nephew of our agent who is clerk with Wilcox and Richards, came on board and kindly offered to procure a boarding place for us, which he did at Mr. Whitney’s. We found several letters at Lahaina and a number more waiting at Honolulu. Letters from Sandwich [MA] informed us that my dear father’s health had been very poor throughout the summer, but that it had been improving for the last few weeks, and they thought as the weather became cooler he would continue to improve. How anxious I shall be on his account for the remainder of the voyage. Not one word shall I hear, unless we should receive letters by the next mail, which I do not expect, until we arrive home. Oh, that he may live until our return. Our other friends were all well. Received Willie’s daguerreotype [photograph] in a letter. He has grown very much and changed much in his looks since I last saw him. From his picture I should judge that he was a fine-looking young man….” (To be continued tomorrow, November 6).

* * * * * * * * * *

Eliza Williams, her husband and their two children, aboard the Florida anchored safely in San Francisco Bay on the afternoon of October 26, 1861; ending a three-year whaling voyage.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: