Posted by: Karlee A. Turner | January 21, 2013

21st January [1859 and 1861]

Mary Brewster did not make a journal entries from January 19-22, 1848.

Mary Lawrence, [Fri.] JANUARY 21 [1859]: “Today we went onshore and had a picnic: Captain Weeks, his wife, and two children; Samuel, Minnie, and myself; and Captain May and son. Started about nine o’clock in the morning. We took our steward with us, and Captain Weeks took his cook. Carried bread, crackers, cake, cookies, and pies with us. After we arrived there, kindled a fire and made a quahog chowder and stewed some birds for dinner. We had plenty of coffee and beer also. The captains went a little farther up the lagoon seining for fish. Their seine [a type of fishing net] was too short so that most of the fish escaped. We had an abundance of oysters all around us growing on the trees, and the empty shells on all sides of us would show that we did them ample justice. We would have a tree cut down and thrown across the fire until the oysters were sufficiently roasted, then take the tree off and commence operations, each child having a separate fire and roasting her own oysters. It was a pleasant day of their lives and one long to be remembered. It is barren country, nothing growing except sand flowers, which were very pretty, and cactus plants. The children succeeded in making very pretty wreaths to adorn their heads, even in such a barren place.     The tide went down about noon very suddenly in the lagoon where we were, leaving the boats high and dry about two miles [from] the channel, so that we made up our minds to have a stay very late, perhaps the most of the night. So we prepared ourselves accordingly; had a boat sail put up for a tent in the morning to protect us from the sun. We sent the men out to get a good supply of wood, and such a roaring fire as we had — it reminded us of the big logs and large fireplaces of old-fashioned days. We wrapped ourselves up in boat sails, colors, and tablecloths and were as comfortable as need be, though we thought our home friends would think we looked rather dubious, had they seen us, with no prospect of getting off until the rise of the tide with those children, seven or eight miles from the ship.     About 9 P.M. we found that the boats would float. Soon after, the moon rose and we started off; had a delightful sail by moonlight and arrived at the ship about half-past ten. On our arrival we were very happy to hear that our boats had taken a whale. We all decided that after having such a pleasant time that we must try it again before we leave the bay.”

Eliza Williams, [Wed.] January 21st [1861]: “The Men are today cleaning the Ship outside, to paint her.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: