Posted by: Karlee A. Turner | June 17, 2012

17th June [1847, 1858 and 1860]

Mary Brewster, THURSDAY [June] 17th [1847]: “Felt refreshed this morning with the rest of the party but oh my face so swollen and sunburnt that it hurt to move my eyes — then the burning sensation making me feel none the liveliest. A plentiful application of cold water helped to dissipate some of the unpleasant feeling and I began to enjoy the morning….” So begins Mary’s third day of her sightseeing trip across Maui.

* Breakfast at 8, followed by prayer (every morning); a fine day with the mountains in full sight and “in the distance beautiful cascades — At one place I counted nine falling from one mountain and several leaping and spilling into the valleys below. The large mountain of Haleakala in view, towering its lofty peak far above all the rest….”

* At 11 A.M. they crossed a stream and entered Kaupo and stopped at Mr. Whittlesey’s house

* Dinner at about 3; turkey, chicken, taro, and sweet potatoes, and coffee

* That afternoon Mary and her companions went to see Nuu falls; “The river which divides Kaupo from Nuu falls from the height above to the distance of 100 feet and forms the stream we crossed coming….”

* They explored a 15′ cave; roomy enough to hold 20 people (or so Mary thought).

* “At 5 we were home and from that time till dark we were all busy trying to get our clothing freed from pele….” (a grass ‘full of prickles and thorns/burrs).

* They had a late supper of fried fish, potatoes, and taro. Mary wrote that by 10 P.M. they were ready to “stow away ourselves for the night. My face is no better and is badly inflamed.”

Mary Lawrence, [Thurs.] JUNE 17 [1858]: “A sad accident happened to us this morning. In a thick fog we hit a lone cake of ice. No one saw it, neither had any been seen during the morning. We were not aware that there was any within six miles, at least. The first thing I did was to get Minnie up and dress her. We were at breakfast, and I generally let Minnie sleep in the morning, as we breakfast early. I was very calm and composed while dressing her and was ready to collect my things preparatory to leaving the ship, as I expected we should be obliged to do. The ship was stoven [damaged] some on her larboard bow, causing her to leak a little; but Samuel thinks when he can get up to the land into a bay where we can anchor to repair her a little, it will be perfectly safe to continue on whale ground for the season. Captains Freeman of the Tybee and Smith of the Fabius were on board during the day, and they considered that it was perfectly safe to do so. I believe I am truly thankful that it is no worse, and I retire to rest with feeling of gratitude that the Addison is still my home. There are plenty of ships in sight, and I know that I should suffer for nothing; but for Samuel’s sake especially am I thankful.”

Eliza Williams, [Sun.] June 17th [1860]: “It has been quite foggy all day, occasionally clearing away so that we could see about two Ship’s lengths and then shutting again thicker than ever, and as wet as if it was raining. We are in the Straits, going through into the Okhotsk Sea. We can’t see the land although it is on both sides of us and there is a rock in the centre. There are about twenty miles each side of it. I think it needs some caution in going through in a thick fog. One side is Saghalien Island, and on the other is Yezo [Hokkaido], all Japanese land.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: