Posted by: Karlee A. Turner | March 21, 2012

21st March [1847, 1858 and 1860]

Mary Brewster, SUNDAY [Mar.] 21st [1847]: “Strong trades and a bad swell with the wind blowing hard. The sun shining at intervals. Have been in my room with husband all day. Read and talked of home and privileges enjoyed there and both of us expressed the wish to be once more there and dwell in our own dear native land. The dearest spot on earth to me. So ends the last Sabbath I shall spend at sea for some time. The wind blowing hard with a rough sea, which keeps my chair moving so it is almost impossible to write intelligibly.”

Mary Lawrence, [Sun.] MARCH 21 [1858]: “This morning immediately after breakfast went ashore. Found that Mr. Butler, with whom we stopped before, had failed and gone to Oregon. So were obliged to look up a new boarding place, which Captain Spencer very kindly undertook for us and was soon successful in finding a room for us at Mrs. Humphrey’s;  and we take our meals at Mrs. Carter’s, a custom which prevails extensively at the Sandwich Islands. Captain Slocum insisted on our going immediately to his house to dine, which we accepted although it was Sunday, as I wanted to see his wife and learn of the welfare of my friends whom I had met here in the fall. Mrs. Slocum has failed since we last saw her, and I am fearful that she will be spared to her friends but a short time. Her disease, as she herself told me, had made and was still making rapid progress. We learned that Mrs. Coggeshall died in about a week after we left last fall, and in a few days after her husband left. Mrs. Slocum is at housekeeping and very pleasantly situated. Minnie was delighted to see Mr. Howland and Henry again. I did not get my trunks up to the house in time to change my clothes for church in the evening; I did not go, as I did not think it best to take Minnie out in the evening air. She has been quite unwell for several days and, I think, has had a slight touch of the ‘boohoo’ fever, which attacks strangers almost invariably.”

Eliza Williams, [Wed.] March 21st [1860]: “It was a rainy morning but came off tolerable fine before noon. All hands were up by light and had the Whale all cut in by 10 o’clock.  About 8 o’clock saw a boat on the water ahead and thought it to be a stoven [shattered/broken] whaleboat at a distance, but soon made it out to be a Junk. Could not see anyone on board, but as we got nearer we could see that she was at anchor. The folks were in the Cabin — for they had one. It was a good size boat. All hands came on deck, and they were frightened when they saw a Ship bearing down on them and so near. They began to wave their hands and shout to us. We set the foresail and passed them nicely. I suppose they were glad. It was a fishing craft, and they were about one hundred miles from any land.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: